Here at Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History near York SC USA there was a massive crop of White Oak (Quercus alba) acorns, with smaller production from our Southern Red Oaks (Q. falcata).

Local Shagbark Hickory (Carya ovata) and Black Walnut (Juglans nigra) also had heavier nut production than usual. Our Pecans (Carya illinoinensis) did poorly as usual.

Cheers,

BILL

A front-page article in today's Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/29/AR2008112902045.html?hpid=topnews describes the failure of the acorn mast this year over a large area around Washington, D.C. Also hickory nuts. It should have been (based on historical patterns) a good year for the oaks. Was there a similar failure in other parts of the US (or elsewhere)?

David Inouye

--

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org