-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Inouye
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:59 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] no acorn mast

A front-page article in today's Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/29/AR200811
2902045.html?hpid=topnews
describes the failure of the acorn mast this year over a large area
around Washington, D.C.  Also hickory nuts.  It should have been
(based on historical patterns) a good year for the oaks.  Was there a
similar failure in other parts of the US (or elsewhere)?

David Inouye