I wonder whether the unexpected pattern seen in the oaks around DC this
year is due to factors which can complicate the masting pattern.

A few years ago I co-authored a paper using time series of masting in
relation to climate records (G. Piovesan & J.M. Adams in Ecological
Research).

My recollection of the work is getting hazy now a few years after we
published it - and I am too lazy to look up the paper again right now -
but I think that the pattern we found with beech (Fagus) across Europe and
in North America was that the likelihood of masting was significantly
increased if a wet summer occurred during two years BEFORE the mast crop
(the year before flower primordia formed)... this suggests that a build-up
of carbohydrate in the trees predisposes them to masting if the necessary
drought trigger is present the next summer. So a run of moderately dry
years leading up to a potential drought trigger year could suppress
masting.

Also, if masting had already occurred the previous year or two - even with
the 'correct' drought trigger present - the masting would fail to occur.
Presumably, the trees were exhausted of their carbohydrate or nutrient
supply and unable to produce a seed crop.

Why is this relevant to the present topic on oaks? A drought year may not
predictably result in masting during the year when the acorns form. I
wonder then if what happened with the oaks around DC this year was due to
one of these fairly predictable complications to the pattern.

    Jonathan Adams