A few things on which I'd like to (re)focus:

"Semantics", like "theory" and "evolution", is a word that can
be subjectively loaded and consequently misunderstood or maligned (the word
"quibbling" comes to mind).  However, words and their definitions are at the
heart of this discussion, and the dialogue that is had with Americans in
these polls.

So, I heartily agree with what Jim Crants said about belief, faith, and
logic.  Scientists "believe" that logic and empiricism is a valid way of
discovering truth.  This might be the only valid point that creationists
have, when they assert that scientists are biased because they subscribe to
"philosophical materialism."  This must be true, because this is, for most
people, the essence of science!

Still, most (all?) people are "philisophical materialists" when it suits
them, or unconsciously--either in the use of technologies derived from
scientific theory or just in the everyday navigation through the world using
basic cycles of observation and inference.  I must reassert that this
unconscious hypocrisy (a strong word, but apt) springs from a lack of
understanding of how those basic scientific processes--observation and
inference--can grow into a reliable body of knowledge, i.e., a collection of
usable, adaptable, interconnected "theories."  Not just a misunderstanding
of how a theory is used, but how it grows, changes, or is legitimately
replaced.

I am biased towards science as a way of knowing, only in the sense that I
can see that is has worked in the past and continues to work, even in the
confines of my own life (like in my methodical attempts to answer earlier
today, "where is that smell coming from?").  However, science literate
people need to first agree on the importance and definitions of words like
"theories" and "laws" (two different things, by the way), and then not blur
those lines in their discussions of science, and resist the attempts of
others to dumb down or redefine these words--like creationists/IDers,
pollsters, and certain presidents.

So to sum up, asking whether someone "thinks" or "believes" something, like
a theory, is taking away the breadth, and with it the power, of the theory.
A theory is only as good as it works, but the "how" part of theories is not
asked in these polls.  If we ask questions like "do you think there is
scientific evidence that supports the theory of evolution (by natural
selection)?," we are likely to get some unfortunate responses, but at least
they'll be more expository, and less misleading, than asking about beliefs.
I suppose, getting back to Jim's point, we could also just pair the "belief"
poll question with one that asks whether you also believe logic and
observations can inform you in your life and in science as a body of
knowledge.

Thanks!  That's enough out of me.

Jimmy Green