Some thoughts of my own, and I will try to stay focused upon the topic:

As someone with a scientific education, I don't think it is particularly
surprising or illogical (I'll explain what I mean by that shortly) that so many
people still reject the theories of evolution and natural selection, despite
having otherwise decent educations.  If you envision the human mind as a fresh
farm field, there are only certain times of the year that crops can be planted,
and be expected to grow and develop into something usable/edible by harvest
time.  The plants sown require certain nutrients and a certain amount of water
and sunlight in order to grow and be healthy.  The most important stages of
growth are quite necessarily the early stages, where young plants are
struggling to push up their stems and produce leaves.  Other than competing
with each other for nutrients, water, and sunlight, the plants also must
compete with other plants not sown ("weeds", the classic derogatory term for
any undesired plant).  The success of the
 harvest is contingent upon how proficiently the farmer manages the crops as a
good steward of the land and the prevailing climatic conditions.

I'll be more direct and less allegorical at this point, for purposes of
clarity.  The fresh farm field is a child's mind.  The crops/plants are
knowledge, thoughts, ideas, experiences.  The weeds are knowledge, thoughts,
ideas, and experiences that were not originally intended to be taught/learned,
but have been learned anyway, due to the fact that nature (and human knowledge)
are not closed, isolated systems.  The harvest is the end point, at which a
viable, responsible, working human adult is produced, and the farmer/s is the
adult/adults who have educated these children to adulthood.

If you haven't become too frustrated reading my colorful analogies at this
point, my basic opinion is this: The existence of creationism, the religious
ideas and ideals that are shoved down the throats of billions of people on this
planet every day will continue (quite logically) if educated scientists
continue current approaches to spreading education of the scientific process
and the strong evidence for evolution and natural selection.  The reason why so
many people still reject evolution is because of the way they are raised;
people who are taught that the Bible or the Koran or any other holy book is the
literal word of God and the absolute truth of everything from childhood will
not accept evolution, a quaint, "human" explanation of how the Earth and the
life upon it came into being as it exists today.  This is especially true
considering that children are brainwashed with religious nonsense from the
beginning of their lives, while most children
 will not get a taste of the theory of evolution until high school or even
college in some circumstances.  How, as scientists, as educated human beings
who believe in reason, honestly expect that our efforts to educate others about
science will be sufficiently fruitful if we continue with the methodologies
that exist today?

I am not talking about compromising scientific ideals about impartiality, the
requirement of evidence, the necessity of quantitative testing, the importance
of empirical observation, etc., but I am talking about educating people about
evolution when they are far younger.  Children, not teenagers, need to be
taught about evolution, natural selection, the scientific process, and the
analytical, fact/reason-based way of thinking from the onset of their life.
Not at 16 or 18 years old, but at 6 and 8 years old.  Granted, the concepts may
need to be simplified so that the children could understand what they were
being taught, but I think it would be a far more effective way to spread the
scientific paradigm throughout the general populace.

Note, I'm not talking about "Brain-washing" children with the ideas of modern
science.  I'm talking about teaching them how to think scientifically at an
early age, so that they can, on their own, come to the same tentative
conclusions we all have; the earth was created billions of years ago by natural
physical processes, that life slowly but surely came into being on Earth due to
chemical interactions, and that life evolved into many different, amazing forms
over billions of years.  We need to open the minds of the general populace, and
that is easier when they are children, and their minds are more open to new
knowledge, as they have not yet formed beliefs that can be contradicted by
other beliefs.

I hope I haven't been overly verbose for any of you.  Thank you for reading,
and please, I hope my statements encourage more discussion.

- Derek E. Pursell