I think Matt's point is really important.  The Gallup poll was intentionally
presented to the general public, and who would question the validity of
gravity?  (Nevermind which theory...that wouldn't have been an issue to
those polled.)

It's only in the public debate over evolution that it becomes fine to
undermine the scientific meaning of the word theory...  Do you all remember
a few years ago when a disclaimer was included in biology textbooks (in
Kansas, I think) about theories?  But the disclaimer referred to the
non-scientific use of the word, and it was later removed.  The common use of
"theory" as being something untested and not yet proven allows for the
validity of evolution to be undermined.

All this debate and heated argument is really only because some people with
strong religious beliefs see evolution as a direct confrontation to their
spiritual beliefs and world view.  Other scientific theories, like gravity,
just don't confront people's tightly held religious beliefs.  At least not
now...but history gives us good examples of other crises and conflicts over
scientific theories.  Time will out.

"Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience."  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lyndell