From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news on behalf of Gene Hannon
Sent: Tue 3/3/2009 3:55 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Thank you for responding to the survey!

Rob,

I think we all agree with the importance of habitat preservation
(species conservation, preserving ecosystem functions, etc). And I
think we all are on the same page about the disproportionate "tax" on
the environment that urban areas have compared to rural areas (or for
that matter: developed countries vs less developed countries).
Furthermore, I think we can all agree that there is a lot of hype
related to most issues -including global climate change.

But  I feel it worth saying that it might be unproductive and
imprudent (in my humble opinion) to make this problem into one of a
false dichotomy: into either human habitat destruction or human
climate warming. They are both worrisome. And they are both
symptomatic of the same problem -a non sustainable life style
(economy, or what have you); by me, you, us, them.

Furthermore, while there are lots of anthropogenic (as well as
non-anthropogenic) processes that result DIRECTLY in habitat
destruction NOW, why not be concerned about those effects that will
indirectly (and or directly) result in habitat destruction later? Such
as our carbon foot print.

But perhaps this is all circular. I guess I see this as a spin off of
the chicken and the egg argument. If we truly did stop habitat
destruction it probably means we are living sustainably, which might
then cause carbon in the atmosphere to drop to or below 350 ppm (or
some ideal value: see 350.org). Or we could save habitat, not live
sustainably, and have weather patterns change ecological patterns and
processes in a way that will result in those saved habitats being for
a collection of species that are different than originally intended.
Or we could destroy habitat, to make carbon neutral bioenergy, to
"live sustainably" so that carbon in the atmosphere goes back down to
350 ppm, but species diversity and ecosystem processes still go to pot
because we have destroyed habitat (i.e. the means does not justify the
end in this scenario). ETC. So really, it is not so much what the
impending or most dire problem is per se, but whether our actions
result in a sustainable and equitable society for us as well as a
viable habitat for the rest of the planet .... But I suppose I am
preaching to the choir.

-Gene