To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Thank you for responding to the survey!

That is a reasoned response, IMHO. However! I see no evidence that increased CO2 in the atmosphere, and "global warming" is destructive. A lot of anecdotal hyperbole more directed at pseudoscientific social engineering than scientific inquiry. Where I live Hurricane Katrina did a lot of damage. We had no power for over a week. I hear people passionately insisting that Katrina was caused by global warming; there is no evidence of this, of course.

Increased CO2 in the air, along with the resultant increased temperature and water vapor has to increase primary productivity, as we all know from basic principles that precipitation and temperature are the prime regulators of primary productivity. I see increasdPPP as a good thing overall. The catastophic predictions, the Al Gore sorts of things, are embarassing to me as an ecologist, as the public does see me as a person supporting such nonsense.

The type of lifestyle we live, especially in urban modern centers, requires massive imports of energy, and the price is always paid by people in rural areas. People in urban centers need cheap food, so farmers must farm large tracts of land for low per unit return. We then charge farmers outrageous prices for things like education, for example. Same thing holds for energy. We want cheap energy from Louisiana and Kentucky. We then charge outrageous prices for things like banking and "asset management". The most outrageously priced urban resource, entertainment, be it sports or movies or television is absolutely inconsequential when compared to rural resources such as food, energy, building materials and minerals, all which are taken at minimal cost.

So it seems we want to drive the socio-economic status of the people of Appalachia, for example, down lower because "we" don't "like" coal, and want to enact policies to discourage and possibly eliminate the use of coal because "we" don't like CO2 in the air; lacking any solid scientific evidence that the CO2 does any damage, but go on taking the resource we want as cheaply as possible from people like those in Appalachia as suits our needs and prejudices.

To my minds eye, it's just a furtherance of attacking the weak to sooth our guilt on these issues. We need a 20 dollar loaf of bread and 2 dollar DVDs more than we need to reduce CO2 emissions. Even the urban poor, who where I live seem to have no problem buying 20 dollar DVDs, would be better to transfer the wealth to farmers than movie producers...that's JMHO of course, and we'd be better off to use coal, but pay more for it, at the expense of lower costs to banking services and football tickets..again, JMHO. Higher cost translates to lower energy use. That's what we need.

Anyone wants to put up windmills is also doing a good thing, IMHO. If my homeowners association allowed it, I'd have one in my yard, they aren't all that expensive.

Rob Hamilton

Gene Hannon <gene.han...@gmail.com> 3/3/2009 5:55 PM >>>

Rob,

I think we all agree with the importance of habitat preservation
(species conservation, preserving ecosystem functions, etc). And I
think we all are on the same page about the disproportionate "tax" on
the environment that urban areas have compared to rural areas (or for
that matter: developed countries vs less developed countries).
Furthermore, I think we can all agree that there is a lot of hype
related to most issues *including global climate change.

But  I feel it worth saying that it might be unproductive and
imprudent (in my humble opinion) to make this problem into one of a
false dichotomy: into either human habitat destruction or human
climate warming. They are both worrisome. And they are both
symptomatic of the same problem *a non sustainable life style
(economy, or what have you); by me, you, us, them.

Furthermore, while there are lots of anthropogenic (as well as
non-anthropogenic) processes that result DIRECTLY in habitat
destruction NOW, why not be concerned about those effects that will
indirectly (and or directly) result in habitat destruction later? Such
as our carbon foot print.

But perhaps this is all circular. I guess I see this as a spin off of
the chicken and the egg argument. If we truly did stop habitat
destruction it probably means we are living sustainably, which might
then cause carbon in the atmosphere to drop to or below 350 ppm (or
some ideal value: see 350.org). Or we could save habitat, not live
sustainably, and have weather patterns change ecological patterns and
processes in a way that will result in those saved habitats being for
a collection of species that are different than originally intended.
Or we could destroy habitat, to make carbon neutral bioenergy, to
"live sustainably" so that carbon in the atmosphere goes back down to
350 ppm, but species diversity and ecosystem processes still go to pot
because we have destroyed habitat (i.e. the means does not justify the
end in this scenario). ETC. So really, it is not so much what the
impending or most dire problem is per se, but whether our actions
result in a sustainable and equitable society for us as well as a
viable habitat for the rest of the planet *. But I suppose I am
preaching to the choir.

-Gene