From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of Wayne Tyson
Sent: Tuesday, 03 March, 2009 20:48
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] CLIMATE CHANGE Anthropogenic ignition? Re: [ECOLOG-L]
Thank you for responding to the survey!

Y'all:

Hamilton's point is well-taken--the devil is in the details. Speaking of
circularity, "the boy who cried wolf" phenomenon might be on the opposite
side of the clock diagram from "crying in the wilderness," each on the other

side of the vertical or "midnight" position, i.e., "worlds" apart in one
sense, but in the apparent sense close together.

While I maintain a state of suspended judgment in the absence of evidence,
neither do I recognize absence of evidence as evidence of absence.

While CO2 well might be a surrogate for habitat destruction that is at once
sufficiently vague and sufficiently (or vaguely) "scientific," I have
decided to not cloud the issue just in case the right things get done, even
if for the wrong reasons.

It may well be true that one can't add up all the carbon emissions directly
caused by culture, the possibility of a sort of "keystone" or "domino"
effect might be laid in the lap of Homo sapiens, and there is little doubt
that there is prima facie evidence that the contributions therefrom have
increased for the last ten millennia or so. So . . . a case in absolute
refutation is similarly difficult. Therein might lie the (evil or saintly?)
"genius" behind the carbon obsession?

In any case, it seems clear that, particularly given the probable futility
of sufficient actual reduction ("credits" and other means of capitalizing
upon the rage), the precautionary principle is probably preferable to the
needless and heedless fraction of the unique human talent for consuming
outside energy/mass cycles.

That is, no matter how inevitably nutty human expression may be, no matter
how "wrong" some might be, a change in current trends could benefit the
earth and its life--even, perhaps, including the guilty parties.

A Pax upon us all, great and small . . .

WT

"The suspension of judgment is the highest exercise in intellectual
discipline." --Raymond Gilmore