I'm a grad student who reads the list-serve to look for job opportunities,
but these threads on agroecosystems and climate change bring up a question I
have never really gotten a satisfactory answer to, namely: Are humans to be
considered a part of the natural world?  On the one hand, humans are clearly
a species of mammal living on the planet.  Science in general follows the
Copernican Principle: don't assume there is anything particularly unique
about your place in the world.  I doubt many of you would consider us to
have been specifically placed on the planet and set apart from other forms
of life.  And yet, when it comes to the things humans do, a clear
distinction is made between human causes and natural ones, human modified
ecosystems and wild ones.  And it is definitely useful to make distictions
between human effects and natural ones when studying many ecosystems-I've
certainly done it in my own research.

So why is this true?  How can natural humans cause unnatural effects (or is
one assumption false, despite both seeming reasonable)? Can only humans harm
the environment?  What's the difference between an invasive species being
introduced to an island by humans, or the same one arriving on the foot of a
bird?  What does harming the environment mean, anyway?  Somewhat like the
two perspectives above, I have seen it defined as: (A) changing the
environment from it's original natural or pre-human state (which natural
state? how do you define your baseline?), and (B) Making the environment
less capable of supporting human life (supporting human life now or
indefinietely?  at what standard of living?).  Those two goals aren't always
compatable.  So, comments?  Thoughts?  How do you resolve this?

Adam