To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2009 3:09 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] "Natural" systems

It is with deep regret that I am unable to cite the specific reference for what I am about to write. I have frequently attributed it to John Clark's Ecosystem Management while knowing that's inaccurate. However, the quote I've constucted is "Any alteration of the natural situation is, by default, an adverse effect or change." Paraphrased, Nature took millenia to achieve the current dynamic balance of plants and animals, predators and prey, entropy and enthalpy. Any alteration at Man's hand away from the natural order of things conflicts with the balance and is adverse. Thus, we should try to our last breath to make things as conducive to nature's way as possible.