The term 'natural' is not considered by most to be a 'good' term to
use in scientific articles.  It is better to use terms/phrases such as
undistrubed, minimally disturbed, etc.  At first, this may seem like a
nit-picky idea as, of course we all know what natural is!  Well, maybe
not.  Many suggest that a 'natural area' is one free from human
encroachment.  Of course, this contradicts the whole notion that
humans are in fact part of the natural system and therefore, lack of
human encroachment may actually be unnatural!  Because of the great
confusion created by the use of this term, most encourage us to avoid
using it.  When we discuss urbanized versus non-urbanized habitat,
agronomic vs. non-agronomic, grazed vs. ungrazed, old growth forest
vs. tree farms, etc. there is a fairly clear understanding of what we
are discussing.  However, anytime someone states that something is in
a natural or non-natural state, it opens the gate to an unending
series of questions and clarifications that do little more than
distract us from the focus of the original discussion.

On the other hand, ASTM Standard Methods does have lists of
standardized terminology for use in environmental science and other
fields.  I do not recall 'natural' being on any of these lists,
however, they do contain many other terms that are frequently misused
in popular and scientific writing.

I hope this is useful for your attempts!

malcolm

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Associate Professor of Biology

Fall Teaching Schedule & Office Hours:
Ecology: M,W 1-2:40 pm
Cell Biology: M 6-9:40 pm (don't ask!)
Forensic Science: T,R 10-11:40am
Office Hours:  MW 12-1, 5-6, TR 11:40-12:30,

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"   W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
        and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
        MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not