It seems to me that these ecologists might need to read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, if not an introductory Ecology text.

There might be a fair proportion of humans (particularly Americans) that think this, but certainly not ecologists. It seems that this could be a fair question to ask to determine if a scientist is an ecologist or not.