An important point in Murray's post is that often big names get published no matter what the reviewer says. This is especially common in conference proceedings, where the famous are invited and often give condescending talks that always get published no matter how crappy they are.

Bill Silvert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Murray Efford" <murray.eff...@otago.ac.nz>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: terça-feira, 2 de Março de 2010 20:02
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Are reviews anonymous?

James Crants has it right. I recently wrote a harsh review of a poor paper by a high-profile author, pointing out numerical and conceptual errors and disregard of the literature. I did what I thought was the decent thing and signed the review. The paper was published with a less-than-gracious acknowledgment of my contribution. This should not have got past the editors, but it did, and I will not sign reviews for them again. Anonymity serves to depersonalise the review process and dilute the pernicious effects of status and reputation.

Murray Efford