From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of Jonathan Greenberg
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 1:40 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Are reviews anonymous?

Wow, I clearly hit on a painful topic here!  I've been getting asked
on-list and off- to clarify, a bit, why I might want to do what my
original question was about: make the reviews (but not the identity of
the reviewers) I've received of my OWN papers public to other people.
I would hazard to guess 99% of us have had a least one paper rejected
due to a reviewer who did a less-than-stellar job at reviewing a paper
-- whether laziness, unfamiliarity with the subject matter, politics,
competition on a subject that the reviewer may be trying to get
published themself, etc (how often have you thought "Did this person
even read my paper?").  There don't seem to be a lot of forums out
there to shed light on "good reviews" vs. "bad reviews" -- we receive
them, we complain to our co-authors and other people we are close to,
but, as my OP indicated, I wanted to know if we could turn around and
show the world these types of reviews in an attempt, not as revenge
(since the reviewer remains anonymous), but to let people know these
types of reviews are unhelpful and can really damage the scientific
process, hopefully to get across to the people producing these bad
reviews they need to think about how they treat their role in the
peer-review process, and to teach new reviewers how to write good
reviews.

I want to clarify a point: I don't mean that a "bad review" is one in
which your paper is rejected, a "bad review" I define a bad review as
one that does little to help improve a paper that may have potential.

--j

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Murray Efford
<murray.eff...@otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> James Crants has it right. I recently wrote a harsh review of a poor paper
by a high-profile author, pointing out numerical and conceptual errors and
disregard of the literature. I did what I thought was the decent thing and
signed the review. The paper was published with a less-than-gracious
acknowledgment of my contribution. This should not have got past the
editors, but it did, and I will not sign reviews for them again. Anonymity
serves to depersonalise the review process and dilute the pernicious effects
of status and reputation.

[ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of James Crants [jcra...@gmail.com]

<greenb...@ucdavis.edu