From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of David M. Lawrence
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 7:36 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] M.S. -- is it useful?

An M.S. is useful -- more useful than a Ph.D., in fact -- for many types
of non-academic jobs, such as for consulting firms, government agencies,
and many non-governmental organizations.  If you want to stay in
academia, though, you might have a problem.

Dave

On 4/4/2010 7:58 PM, Jason Hernandez wrote:
> I am nearly finished with my Master's degree in biology (anticipated date
May 2010).  But, scanning the job postings from the several days I have been
subscribed to this listserv, I see two main categories: jobs for applicants
with Ph.D's, and jobs for current students.  I am wondering, how often are
there actually openings for applicants who already have Master's degrees and
are not currently students?  I am trying to figure out my strategy for life
after grad school, and this kind of information will help me to find the
best approach.

> Jason Hernandez
> East Carolina University

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  7471 Brook Way Court     | Fax:   (804) 559-9787
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: d...@fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"All drains lead to the ocean."  -- Gill, Finding Nemo

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan