---- David Gillett <dav...@sccwrp.org> wrote:
> I would concur with the other answers so far.  For work vs. reward, I think
> an MS is more useful than a further degree.  As the others have noted,
> outside of academia, the degree is less important than how good you are at
> science (plus who you know).  When someone would query him about getting a
> Ph.D., a former advisor of mine would quip, "A Ph.D. is only good if you
> want to teach college or be king".  This is always the advice I give to
> students debating on what to do with their lives, academically speaking.
>
> Good luck with everything.
> -david

> _
> David Gillett, Ph.D.
> Ecologist
> Southern California Coastal Water Resource Project

Well, I notice that you hold a Ph.D. and are working for an agency.  Fact is,
lots of federal government jobs specify a Ph.D. or equivalent experience for GS
11 or higher, as do some state positions and non-governmental organizations.  A
good many Ph.D. holders do work in R&D and in compliance in industry.

But, your thoughts are generally correct -- unless one wants to work in
academia, a Ph.D. is probably only worth the investment in time, energy, and
money except for personal satisfaction, and it may narrow employment prospects
compared to a master's degree.

Not only is a master's degree the general requirement for community college
teaching, but many community colleges avoid hiring Ph.D. holders because they
cost more, and are perceived in some community colleges as being less likely to
work effectively with community college students and colleagues.

David McNeely, Ph.D.
former community college and university faculty member