What, then, is the ecological difference between humans as a dispersal agent,
and, say, seabirds as a dispersal agent?  When we study Hawaiian native plants,
are we not studying "how natural selection influenced organisms after their
introduction, or as a consequence of
the introduction of other species"?  The system is still one of an organism
having been brought to some isolated location to which it could not otherwise
have gotten on its own.  The whole study of island biodiversity is inherently
the study of introductions of "alien" species by various means, except in the
case of continental islands formerly connected to the mainland.

Jason Hernandez
East Carolina University

--- On Tue, 5/11/10, ECOLOG-L automatic digest system