Matt has important points.

1. Alien is from somewhere else (that is, it's recent evolutionary history does not include its current location) and natives are from the place where they reside. AFTER that definition, we come to think that aliens are different than residents, and we often find they are (not surprisingly) and are not. Many marine species have unknown historical ranges, so we have no idea where thare are from, and we call those cryptogenic (hidden origins).

2. Whether organisms are bad for being alien is a judgement call, and subjective. Sure, we can say that they cost money, but that only means that they inconvenience us in some way - still subjective. Sure we can say that they change community dynamics, but does the community care? If evolution were allowed to run its course, I am sure that we would all agree than in another million years or so, all the current aliens will have become natives (adapted for where they are, and fitting - in some way - in the community at that time). Thus, the VALUE statements about aliens and invasives are invariably subjective.

3. Politics is about appealing to emotion to justify getting money (and science is often politics). The trend that this breeds is to inflate the value of whatever it is that we want money for. So, how do we justify spending billions on invasive species control? Economically, not scientifically.

My objective, scientific reasons for justifying the removal of invasives and alien species are, in fact, subjective. After all, even Elton said it well, although subectively - and I paraphrase - the continued introductions of species will have the net effect of reducing biodiversity, simplifying interactions in nature, and making the world a less interesting place. I can see a future where ecologists study how introduced species have adapted to their adopted homes, how new interactions evolve in communities dominated by introduced species, how biodiversity changes over time with introductions and extinctions. We will have a whole new science of biogeography - rather than Hubbell's "Unified Neutral Theory of Biodiversity and Biogeography" we will have someone's "Unified Neutral Theory if Biodiversity due to Introductions and Extinctions."

I can't help but (subjectively) think that such a place will be much poorer than our natural world of today (and I recognize how much poorer our natural world of today is compared to that of Darwin, for example).

Cheers,

Jim