There are multiple responses I'd like to field to various comments, so I'll
attempt to be concise and systematic in my replies.
David - Thank you for the explanation of the selfish gene metaphor. In all of
the modern interpretations of the original idea, I lost sight of the basic
meaning of it, and thank you for pointing it out. It's quite sound, really, to
think that certain genes are encouraged in populations if they grant attributes
or characteristics that are beneficial for survival. It seems that some of the
interpretations that have since come from that original notion are what seem
suspect to me.
Jim - I agree, the principles and methodologies of science and religion are not
compatible and it is folly to apply them to each other. To go beyond that
though, it seems difficult to truly
 apply that notion. Scientific minds think scientifically, and religious minds
think religiously. How (or can?) these ideas, these ways of thinking mesh and
form some logically/emotionally consistent world view/belief system? Is this a
process of individualization? Is it this sort of hybridization something that
should be taught or encouraged, or just the opposite? It's interesting to think
about, and I can confidently claim I have little idea what to think of such
notions, or even how one would go about it (or whether they should).
Bill - Your suggestion of the "enslaving of minds" when colonial-era Europeans
spread across the globe is interesting in a conversation that dances around the
topic of history and the human condition. Considering the human mind's amazing
ability to justify one's own actions to itself (an expression of fitness if
I've ever heard of one), it'd seem to me that most likely these priests that
went with the
 colonialists were there to spread "the truth" (read: whatever they defined the
truth as, a very convenient definition for the converter). Thus, any of the
aggressive cultural and social acts (of which there is considerable evidence)
to "spread the word of God" (In this example, the Christian God and the
religious/lingual/social framework that surrounds it) were entirely justified
in the minds of the colonials. I think your alternative explanation of the
interplay of history and religion in history is useful in seeing the issue from
a different perspective, one typically not examined when many people learn
about history.
Wayne - I agree that the prehistory era polytheistic faiths were much more
nature-oriented than later monotheistic faiths. I think this is mainly due to
how people lived at that time: in nature. To use the western example, from
1,000 BCE to the present day, most humans lived in some degree of civilization,
whether that was a city, town, or village (with exceptions, of course).
Considering these structures were very much tied to the surrounding wilderness
(nature), they were still separate from it, and considered as such. The
priestly figures in society spent a few hundred, then a few thousand years
surrounded by humans rather than animals, and slowly but surely "God" is no
longer a animistic man/animal hybrid, but a man, a divine man no less, but
still. As the old testament says, man was created in the image of God, and thus
the religious belief system of humans evolved to one far more human-centered
than nature-centered.
Micah - Before we go into your topic, I have a disagreement with some of your
initial statements. In your post, you said...
"One must approach the discussion
delicately for the sake of discussion; if the purpose is to discover
truth. We all know from our courses in logic and critical thinking that,
truth needs no defense. Truth exists independent of what anyone thinks,
wishes or claims it to be.
Thought and discussion, that attempt to
exclude emotion (bias) will make the human species more fit, and it will
be  necessary minimize bias if we are to overcome the challenges
that confront us. Science would not emphasize the need to minimize bias
if it were not so.
My disagreement is with your assertion that logic is the only tool suitable to
expanding human understanding of truth. The ancient Greeks were familiar with
the three appeals of debate: ethos, pathos, and logos (morality, emotion, and
logic). While I agree with your idea that the truth exists independently of
what people perceive or believe it to be, I disagree that logic is the only
proper tool to be used to expand understanding. Considering that to the
non-scientist (which represents the vast majority of the human population) an
emotional or moral appeal is oft far more effective at convincing people of the
"rightness" of a course of action rather than a logical appeal. Any adept
politician could tell you this. We might consider this to be an "unenlightened"
means of spreading understanding, but I think scientists often forget that
logic and its prodigy are not always the most effective tools for spreading
knowledge. I think Al Gore's "Inconvenient
 Truth" film was an excellent example of this: A predominantly moral, emotional
argument supported by logic. Granted, when all three methods of debate are used
together in harmony, the most effective arguments are made, in my opinion.
That said, the ideas you present in your post are interesting and
thought-provoking about how everything, from human thoughts to living and
non-living systems, can be measured in terms of energy, and are constantly and
consistently dynamic in their change and evolution. While I personally found
this perspective intriguing, I'd argue a layman would read your post and have
their eyes glaze over in short order. That isn't to say a layman should not
seek education and understanding, no, but what I'm trying to say is that this
isn't a convincing argument for the average modern human. If we wish to seek
(and indeed, spread) truth and understanding of the truth, I think it behooves
us to be as clear and simple in our communication as possible while avoiding
the dangers of over simplification.
In summary, truth is hard.
- Derek E. Pursell