Splendid thread!  (And I don't mean that in any Two Cities, Dickensian sense.)
Personally, I find great harmony between(+among) science(s)+religion(s).  In my
esteem, science(s) and religion(s) share essential similarities in their
both/all being modes of human thought.  I find affinity in M.
Moore's(+Einsten's+Rilke's+a lot of people's) idea of translatability of
ideas/matters/energies, although I take some exception to some extensions
thereof.   In science(s), we often attempt to describe existence(s) using
methods/techniques/instruments to detect, describe and - often - quantify
energies of objects...

[[riff on objects]]  The idea of objectivity concerns me (apparently
paradoxical reflexivity intended).  Personally, I think it's impossible to
observe something without the observer exerting influence on the observed - the
linking of all things, eh?  (And that pesky thread again!)  Relatively
recently, I had a sort of Archimedes/Edison/ah-ha! moment myself when listening
to J.J.N.L.Y.T. Gyatsothe - the current (ohms and all) Dalai Lama - discuss the
interface(s) of science and religion; what struck me was his comparison of
meditation techniques and the scientific method - which J. Shevtsov introduced
in excerpting E.O. Wilson:  this D. Lama talked about how some meditation
practices are every bit as methodical and rationally thought-out as aspects of
scientific inquiry; he talked about how those meditative approaches had been
developed, refined and passed down by generations of practitioners who were
able to come to some inter-subjective ( - that's a particular phrase that !
 sticks with me - ) way to describe the specific methods they used to achieve
certain and equally specific mental/spiritual/extant states, and then to
describe what those states were like with similar accord.  As, J.J. Roper
notes, these people thought a lot about these approaches and modes, with an
almost scientific attention.  In such framing, I see no evidence for
irresolvable discord among ideas of rationality, empiricism, mysticism,
intuition, emotion, poetry and so on; rather, I see incorporation and synthesis
of human capacity.  I see a nuanced beauty.  (We'll get to truth.)  I think
hooking monks up to fMRI machines may provide a different means of describing
what they could tell you in their own particular idioms, and without all the
electric and petrochemical infrastructure.  [[return from riff]]

And, personally (I'm going to stop with that adverb since it's inherent in my
expressions), I don't find science(s) to be bound, except in how we choose to
apply what we call science - it's a matter of applied interpretation, in my
esteem.  I think questions of divinity and unifying aspects of the universe
(maybe multi-verse?) can be investigated/accessed with as much methodology,
logic and deliberateness (see above and also Aquinas, T. 'round about 1270-ish)
as questions of physical sciences.  I think ideas and emotions are just as
observable as insects.  "I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

I'd also like to touch on something that M. Moore brought up:  do we really
want to know?  Or, modified:  can we really know?  Surely not by logic alone...
I've (thankfully) never taken classes on logic but from what I've read of
infinite regress (e.g., evidence for our evidence), axiomatic assumptions,
Agrippa and Gödel, I gather that logic is problematic, and like its cousin,
mathematics, is shot through with unreason and paradox and conundrum (nod to
D.F. Wallace, RIP).  Proposition Q:  Proposition Q is not provable.  Truth:
Truths are only provable when true.  As D. Pursell notes, truth is tricky to
define, especially with our inherently abstract, ambiguous
language/representational/number systems (nods to D. Pursell + W. Tyson + D.F.
Wallace here + all intellectual predecessors who led to them) - water is not
the word water.  Language can impede and facilitate communication, depending on
who's in the audience.  We always seem to start with the ifs given.  I like the
id!
 ea of only opining on what one could explain to one's mother, yet that assumes
one wants to talk to her, or can find her.  {{Uh-oh, now I'm thinking about my
thoughts...  oy indeed!}}

I also think (believe, opine, tra la la) it's unfair to paint religion(s) as
the only human endeavor plagued by dogmatism and imperialistic-oriented
evangelism (and any number of other -isms).  I think science, journalism,
politics and any human activity can be manipulated by power-hungry, overzealous
authoritarian interests who profit from suppressing questioning and independent
thought.  I think one big benefit of what we call science relates to the
peer-review/inter-subjective process of debate, culling, further study and
tentative agreement... I think religion(s) are just as capable of harboring
lunatic rogues and science(s) - that doesn't condemn either entire enterprise,
if they are in fact so separate.  For example, I've read and discussed a lot of
religions and I think the principle of reciprocal interpersonal ethics (some
would gild this and use words like "unto" and "do" - note that it can be
rendered very scientific-sounding by throwing in a few quadra-/penta-syll!
 abic adjectives with balanced consonant-to-vowel ratios preceded by "the
principle of") stands as an example of an idea that has been broadly vetted
across time and cultures and accepted in a variety of religious
ellipses/circles.  (Ahh, but what of child sacrifice? you say?!  Nay?  Or Yea?
Maybe a fuzzy-setted, conditional kind of Maybe-Nay?)

And I think much of this discussion has too conveniently divorced the spread of
Science (as such) from colonialism and religious proselytizing... there's
suspicious spatiotemporal correlation there too, methinks.  Empires of
empiricism?  B./W. Silvert touched on the idea of power structure.  (I think)
When anyone presents and idea that threatens current power structures,
opposition will arise - the rationality of which depends on perspective.  One
example cited by J. Crants:  when astrophysicists suggest (based on years of
meticulous research which maybe helped those astrophysicists to feed themselves
and their families) the universe is much older than some religious leader
purports, and said religious leader's reputation, position and ability to feed
herhimself (nod to W. Tyson) and/or family is put in jeopardy by having herhis
authority and thus position of influence questioned... resistance seems a
natural response, but this resistance may eventually give way to acceptanc!
 e and paradigm change over time and with sufficient multiple-party
debate/discussion and/or self-reflection... blah blah blah.  I have seen
similar scenarios arise within academic scientific circles when a new
theory/study calls into question a previous theory or entire body of work that
may jeopardize some untenured professorship.  Extend this to corporate
interests disputing climate science.  Extend this to disputing the disputed
science...  Selfishly folded proteins aside; selfish selves create much rub.

I'd also argue with the idea that religion(s) - monotheistic or not - and
science(s) strive purely to provide certainty, comfort and enlightenment.  I
think aspects of human nature do yearn for certainty and explanation, which -
in part - lead to development of myth, religion and science - but I think equal
aspects of human nature yearn for disorder, improvisation and the sheer
excitement of unpredictability... I think our religio-mythic empirical toolbox
provides us with means to express all parts of our desirous spectra.  I find as
much satisfaction in coming to new questions that arise while attempting to
answer previous ones and in find that there are things I still don't understand
(or overstand?), mysteries to be explored (oh no!  that colonial impulse!), as
in arriving at - what could be termed - an answer.  I am reminded of kōans -
questions to which there are endless answers.  (To me,) The question Why?
implies wonderment.

Some final fragmented and fractious thoughts that I want to express because I
read them, disagreed and feel the need to replace them with alternatives.  (1)
I don't think efficiency is the end-all be-all goal of evolution/selection and
I take issue with conflation of efficiency and fitness, at least without
specifically qualifying a circumstance.  What of enjoyment?  If efficiency, in
what terms?  For whom?  Why do we defecate then?  (another 1)  I don't think
people alive today have any better/deeper understanding of the world than any
of our ancestors of contemporary detrivores do, just different.  It's always
been an information age, just less electronic maybe.  It's a nice ego boost to
think of one's self as evolutional acme, but there are plenty examples of
unintended consequences of Slothrop's Progress (as such) that I'd wager many
people would put on, or toward, the uh-oh edge of things:  increased cancer
rates; oil spills; explosions of asthma and autisms... which d!
 irection are such steps?  And who's the accountant?  I think Paula Abdul had a
song about this, riffed from V. Lenin maybe?  Are more humans better?  In some
ways, we may need to unknow existing orders?

Long-windedly,

Brian Challfant
-ologist