JC and Ecolog:

(Note to Jim: I finally found it.)

"'Ecosystem' means a dynamic complex of plant, animal and micro-organism
communities and their non-living environment interacting as a functional unit."
 https://www.cbd.int/recommendation/sbstta/?id=7027

I don't see that this definition excludes humans either; perhaps DeClerck will
ask her mystery colleague how he/she came to that conclusion?

I don't interpret the definition as necessarily relating to a plurality of
units, but rather to the entire ecosystem. I've always had a bit of trouble
referring to subsets of the earth's ecosystem as discrete units, even though I
recognize the utility of doing so. I would like to understand what Crants means
by "functional units" as well as "artifacts of ecological discontinuities."

As I have said elsewhere, I see culture as a psychological phenomenon that
served a utilitarian purpose--that of permitting humans to manipulate their
environment far more than any other any other species--almost without limit.
All animal make mistakes--mountain sheep fall off cliffs, but humans seem to
grow better and better at making mistakes and institutionalizing them than
other species.  Insanity is not limited to Homo sapiens--sick and injured bears
fly into rages and sometimes attack even humans and kill "without reason." But
humans, even apparently healthy ones, have instutionalized not only killing but
have found ways to rationalize almost any murder--particularly mass murder
committed in the name of the culture, aka, "cult." Whereas Nature has been able
to quickly take out deviants as part of ecosystem function, humans have found
ways to beat that rap in countless ways. But, as my wife is fond of saying,
"Nature bats last." I suspect we're past the first inning.

WT