To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Humans in the definition of ecosystems

WT and Ecolog,

Since the CBD definition of ecosystem calls it "a dynamic complex," not "the dynamic complex," it implies that there is more than one ecosystem on earth
(assuming the authors of this definition didn't define it this way to make
room for any extraterrestrial life we might one day discover).

The definition also says that the components of the ecosystem interact "as a functional unit." I think that part of the definition of a functional unit must be that the biotic and abiotic environment inside the unit differs from
that outside it, and that the shift in environment from inside to outside
corresponds with the borders of the unit. (Minnesota would have a different
species list from Iowa, but there's no perceptible shift in biology at the
border between the two states, so they are not discrete functional units.)

A deer's rumen is a functional unit. If you tried to define the borders of the rumen based purely on community composition and abiotic factors, I think you'd end up with very similar borders to what you'd see if you defined them
based on the shape of the rumen.  Similarly, a kettlehole bog would be a
functional unit, and an outcrop of serpentine soil in California might be,
too.  However, an arbitrarily-defined hectare of prairie in the Nebraska
Sandhills would not qualify, since organisms and nutrients would flow across
the borders of that hectare plot just as freely as they would cross any
random line drawn through the middle of it, and a sampling transect running
across any border of that plot would find no great shift in species
composition or abiotic factors corresponding with the location of the border
(except by chance).

There are also functional units that only exist because of what I called
"ecological discontinuities we've imposed on the landscape."  An arbitrary
hectare of prairie surrounded by many other hectares of prairie is not a
functional unit, but the same hectare, surrounded by many hectares of
cornfields, is a functional unit.  It has different species of plants,
animals, and microbes, different nutrient inputs, maybe a different annual
rainfall total (if the cornfields are irrigated), more leaf litter, and a
different soil composition (probably more organic matter, and much more
clearly defined soil horizons in the top foot or so of soil). It likely has
a different fire regime, especially if it's managed to maintain the
pre-settlement vegetation.

Concepts like "community" and "ecosystem" might not seem so natural to us if
we did not live in a world where "nature" was largely relegated to islands
in a sea of anthropogenic landscapes, which themselves are cut into
sharp-edged patches of different land uses.  When I wrote about ecosystems
as "artifacts of the ecological discontinuities we've imposed on the
landscape," I was thinking of cases like that hypothetical hectare of
prairie, where little bits of natural habitat were turned into isolated
units sometime before scientists started trying to find useful labels for
ecological systems.

Jim Crants