WT,

In thinking of "culture as a psychological phenomenon that serve(s) a
utilitarian purpose--that of permitting humans to manipulate their
environment", it is important to state that this manipulation (culture) has
been in many contexts, and can continue to be in given contexts, both
utilitarian for humans and beneficial to their environment. While the
"institutionalization of mistakes" does seem to be a characteristic behavior of
modern Western Culture, it is certainly neither a characteristic definitive of
culture nor a behavior characteristic of all cultures. Otherwise, we are
without hope, and science is merely a utility for institutionalizing those
mistakes.

jlh
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by CREDO Mobile.