  From: malcolm McCallum
  To: Wayne Tyson
  Cc: ECOLOG-L@listserv.umd.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:35 AM
  Subject: Re: Evolution Adaptation Failure of success equals maladaptation Re:
[ECOLOG-L] Humans in the definition of ecosystems

  Not all organisms do adapt.

  [[Certainly. I don't want to jump to a conclusion you didn't intend, but I
would say that, while we use "adapt" in a sense that could be interpreted as
having intention or purpose behind it, I don't think we really mean that; hence
we probably should not use it that way, even as convenient shorthand--it's too
open to misinterpretation. The concept of intent in terms of adaptation is
probably one of the biggest bugaboos in biology. I'm gonna try to reform
starting now. The way I think I understand it right now is that organisms are
possessed of a certain amount of genetic diversity, part of which allows them
to occupy a certain range of environmental conditions. Mutations occur and are
selected for or not selected for; maladapted populations struggle in marginal
environments, but if the environment changes to suit those same traits, they
will struggle less or even increase their survival quotient. Each population,
even each individual, is in an evolutionary dance with its environment, and
both are most likely never "ideal" matches;  Even though we're a mammal, if the
Great Flood were to occur, it is unlikely that we would survive but marine
mammals most likely would, and their populations might even increase, along
with, say, krill populations. Rather than blather on like this, I will respond
to your comments and those of others who care to join the discussion. WT 6/30]]

  In fact, one could argue that most organisms eventually reach a scenario for
which the do not possess the potential for adaptation to new conditions.

  [[Well, that potential is limited, but I'm not sure I know what you mean by
"scenario." WT 6/30]]

    As a consequence, most organisms that have ever existed have gone extinct.

  [[I think of evolution as a continuum, not in terms of strict taxonomy, so
"going extinct" is relative (to how one classifies organisms--an artifact of
human culture, and thus somewhat, perhaps crucially, arbitrary). Certainly,
many "extremeophiles" are still around in little niches that resemble their
halcyon days of three billion years or so ago, when humans couldn't live, even
if they had evolved. More complex organisms, such as sharks, for example, are
still around even though the earliest forms are long "extinct." I'm tempted to
refer to such organisms as "highly adaptive," but I suspect that the primary
cause for their continued presence in some form is that their environment has
changed little. WT 6/30]]

    Further, I'ld argue that although humans might
  recognize the problems that could lead to their demise, they do nothing
because of the the evolutionary drive for self preservation and the
  success of one's own genes.  hence, they act in an entirely selfish manner
knowing well that this behavior may ultimately lead to their demise.

  [[I'm not sure I understand this, but I think I would have to agree if you
mean that all organisms, including humans, tend to respond to change in a way
they "think" will give them comfort (we put on a coat when "it" gets "cold;"
the planarian worm wiggles away from a drop of saline solution. Humans might
not pick a warm enough coat, and the planarian might wiggle its way into a more
hazardous environment of a different sort. WT 6/30]]

  Whether any organism recognizes the repercussions of its actions or not is
irrelevant if the species as a whole does not possess the adaptive plasticity
to evolve a "good of the species" response.  In fact, we have failed to find
any truly altruistic organisms.  Therefore, if species act for the immediate
good of an individual, and we do not observe organisms acting for the good of
the species, then we certainly should expect it to be even more rare to find a
species that does things for the good of other species because it is even less
adaptive for individual reproductive success.  This is most likely the problem
with humans in my opinion.  We can identify and even tell others that our
species is doing things that are bad for other species, but as a group we are
evolutionary lacking the traits capable of dealing with it.  So, unless a few
maladaptive individuals who feel other species are important get control of the
masses and force the issue, no real action ever goes forward.  Understand, I'm
not advocating this, but just pointing out that acting for the good of other
species is evolutionary maladaptive.

  [[I would agree in some cases, disagree in others, but depending upon how
finely one splits the hairs (and splitting them very finely indeed may be what
is necessary to better understand the phenomena involved), tending goats might
be "good" for the individual goats in the short run, but "bad" for the species
in the long run. This is a feature of culture, as is growing wheat. Culture
holds the same benefits and risks for the human species. WT 6/30]]

  Until selection pressure on humans reaches a level where acting in these ways
becomes sufficient to drive evolution, it is unlikely we will see such changes.
  Humans are just acting like every other species and there are only a few of
us who are willing to do anything about it.

  [[I tend to agree except for the "just" part. In a large and significant
sense, humans have put a stop to most selection pressures on the species,
though cultural features like modern medicine. Of course, this probably means a
more genetically diverse population for selection to act upon, since
individuals that, under so-called "primitive" conditions would not have
survived, do. WT 6/30]]

  WT