On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM, malcolm McCallum <
malcolm.mccal...@herpconbio.org> wrote:

> I do not really see ANY difference between the variation in human culture,
> and the variation in
> social behavior of any other organism.

I do.  A difference of degree is still a difference.  I think it's important
not to conflate continuous variation with an absence of variation.  This is,
after all, and ecology forum.  If differences in degree are meaningless,
that leaves us with very little to discuss.

And I do think the variation in human culture is greater than the variation
in the cultures of other species on earth.  Given that humans vary in oral
and body language, clothing, housing preferences, agricultural practices,
religion, social graces, music, vehicle design, and countless other cultural
traits, and that we inhabit nearly every continent and large island on the
planet, I find it close to impossible to believe that any other species on
earth displays such a high degree of cultural variation.

Jim Crants