I recognize that your's is an admirable concern for the en
Dear Wayne,

I recognize that your's is an admirable concern for the environment and about
the implications that human behavior has for it. The question of humans in the
definition of environment--whether academic or general--is a crucial one, and
cannot be resolved by any one person, field, and definitely not by so
over-generalized an assertion.

To characterize culture as a "sociopathological phenomenon" is concerning.
Without discerning between those cultural behaviors that are beneficial and
those that are detrimental to our environment, this statement remains
unscientific and non sequitur.

Culture? Which one? All of them? And what do you mean "we"? Certainly not
Anthropologists, Sociologists, Geographers, etc. And your statement has in no
way been the conclusion of the broader community of Ecologists.

I find your idea repeated elsewhere, such as in your response to Gunderson and
Folke's 2009 article "“Lumpy Information” in the journal Ecology and Society.
There you write, "it may be useful, even critical to our depth of
understanding,
to recognize that culture itself is demonstrably a societal pathology."

Again, unless corrected, this mistake makes the whole discussion fundamentally
unscientific. Examples to the contrary include the classic Roy A. Rappaport's
1971 "The flow of energy in an agricultural society" [Scientific American
224(3):116-32] as well as Paul Robbins work on human-environment dynamics
involving the Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary in Rajasthan, India [Robbins,
Chhangani, Rice, Trigosa, & Mohnot. Enforcement Authority and Vegetation Change
at Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary, Rajasthan, India. Environmental
Management (2007) 40:365–378 as well as Chhangani, A. K., Robbins, P. and
Mohnot, S. M. (2008) 'Crop Raiding and Livestock Predation at
Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary, Rajasthan India', Human Dimensions of Wildlife,
13:5,305—316].

By your statements and from the larger context of the Ecolog thread, I remain
sure that by "culture" you mean "Western culture" and its demonstrable trend
toward overconsumption and inefficient consumption of natural resources. Or
perhaps by "culture" you mean "pop culture" and its role as raison d'être for
Western culture's overconsumption of natural resources. While some, perhaps
even
I, who would argue the specifics of these, they would not be as concerning as
your statements currently stand.

Whether this is true or not, whether you agree or not, perhaps you and others
would be interested in reading and perhaps responding to my discrete
consideration of my response for a more general audience
at http://jamielewishedges.info/2010/07/13/changing-culture/.

With respectful concern,

Jamie Lewis hedgeshedge...@yahoo.com

NOTICE:This email (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C._ 2510-2521, is confidential and may be
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient please be aware that any
retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you have received this message in
error, then delete it.  Thank you for helping maintain privacy.