Mike,as a native of Barcelona myself, regarding your comment about
bull-fighting I would like to make a small correction.
The "sport" (if you can call it that way) was NOT started in Catalonia (the
correct name of the "region" is Catalunya). The torturing and sacrifice of
animals in public was officially started by the ancient Romans in their Circus
(and probably there are older precedents to that). Basically, is the same show
the gladiators put up with, only that it combined killing people with torturing
and killing animals. That tradition was probably imported all throughout the
Roman Empire. Barcino (now Barcelona) and Tarraco (now Tarragona), ancient
roman cities, probably received enough Roman circus tradition to go along.
The Bullfighting as we know it today is mostly a "tradition" from Spanish
culture, that is the culture from most of the territory of what is known as
Spain today, which between the 16th and 20th centuries was many times exported
to Central and South America. It was never part of the culture of Catalunya, an
independent nation established about a thousand years before the Castilla (now
the center of Spain) was a kingdom of any sort. Catalunya has been oppressed
over the centuries through many invasions, and in recent times, when after the
Civil War of 1936-1939, the nazi regime of Generalisimo Franco was imposed upon
the whole Iberian Peninsula. At that time, all of Spain, including Catalunya,
embraced (by choice or by force) the "National Art" (el arte nacional). Notice
that during all these years, nobody  in the country at large, pointed at how
torturing an animal could be considered an art.
Thanks to a very young democracy (it started in 1977), the recent ban on
bullfighting in Catalunya, voted by the Catalan government in Barcelona, and
started by a citizen initiative, is a victory for all of us who think torturing
animals cannot be a standard of national pride. This is a first step in a long
fight against animal cruelty of this type. It is also a victory to eliminate a
"national tradition" that Catalans do not consider of their own.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. http://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres