Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 2:39 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] ECOLOGY Fundamentals Principles Laws Other

Ecolog:

In recent years the debate about Laws of Ecology has been re-heated.* If the study of the interactions of living organisms with environments is to have discipline, it seems to me that it should have produced some observations about how things work or function that, when applied, never fail to prove valid. Can such observations, rendered as statements or equations, be termed "laws" or "principles," or?

WT

*For example, see http://philosophy.unc.edu/people/faculty/marc-lange/Oikosfile.pdf