Wow, to be a law or principle it has to be perfect? I have a PhD in Physics and thought that we had lots of laws, but they seldom pass that test. For hundreds of years we talked about and taught Newton's Laws of Motion, but then Einstein came along with examples of cases where they FAIL. As for propping up, where do hypothetical particles like neutrinos and quarks come from?

Do we really want ecology to be a much more rigid and philosophically pure science than physics, astronomy and the rest? Or can we just focus on trying to figure out how nature works?

Bill Silvert

-----Original Message----- From: Wayne Tyson
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 1:55 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] ECOLOGY Fundamentals Principles Laws Other

My original question was about whether or not the discipline of ecology (I meant in the broadest sense) recognizes or should try to recognize, some observations about how "things" function or work that amount to laws or statements (hypotheses), when applied NEVER FAIL to prove valid--pass the test for a law or a principle. (And, I might add, one [or more?] that needs no propping up with qualifiers. (This, I will confess, is one issue I have with the referenced paper, but the author might be right and I might be wrong.)