To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] ECOLOGY Fundamentals Principles Laws Other

Here are some ecological "laws" to consider:

The main one is "Everything changes over time."  This can probably be
derived from thermodynamic principles: entropy, and all that.

Here are some corollaries of this law:
   The physical environment changes over time.
   Species diversity changes over time.
   Gene frequencies change over time.
   Species evolve over time.

Maybe we can even assign direction to some changing factors:
   Trophic efficiency INCREASES over time.
   Resource availability DECREASES over time.
   The total number of species that has ever existed INCREASES over time.

Maybe some of our common observations could be formulated as laws:
   The tropics have higher species diversity then polar regions.
   Island populations reflect the populations of nearby continents.
   There will always be diseases.
   There will always be parasites.
   There will always be predators and prey.
   There will always be primary producers.

Is this what you were getting at?

                Martin M. Meiss