Honourable Forum:

Recently there was a discussion about the importance of getting nomenclature
right in ecological studies. The general conclusion was that this is important.
To me, the implication was that ecologists need taxonomists on the team (this
may or may not always or even rarely be possible), or at least a procedure by
which taxonomic accuracy can be assured.

I recently attended a lecture by a botanist of regional and international
repute who described a large project to compile a checklist of the vascular
flora of an inadequately-explored, but quite large region. It is undeniable
that this is important work, and through this person's leadership, significant
additions to knowledge of the area have been made. The lecture included maps of
"bioregions" or "ecoregions." This botanist dismissed the value and importance
of them, adding that they were the province of the ecologists and were highly
flawed (I can't quote the lecturer precisely, but this is the best of my
recollection and my distinct impression). The lecturer essentially dismissed
ecology, remarking that the lecturer was interested only in individual plants
and seemed contemptuous of ecologists in general, and particularly those
involved in establishing the ecoregions that were a part of the lecture. I may
have misunderstood, as I have long held this person in high regard, and those
remarks seemed inconsistent with past behavior.

Do you find this state of mind to be common among taxonomists in general or
botanists in particular? Is this apparent schism real or imaginary? Other
comments?

WT

PS: During the lecture, the speaker remarked about ecological phenomena which
were not understood (no clue), but at least one reason for one phenomenon was
apparent to me. I said nothing, as the lecture had been very long and the
question period short.