"Maybe taxonomists should stick to labeling species with objective rigor
instead of labeling other scientists with snobby scorn."

Maybe this is really just a defensive attitude since for so many years
they were looked down on by other branches of biology - including
ecologists - as being just "stamp collectors" without scientific rigor or
hypotheses etc. It wasn't until the biodiversity crisis that people
realized we needed systematists/ taxonomists who could identify what was
what.