The idea that there is a "moment when one species evolves into another" is
interesting. Does the evolutionary lineage of species consist of sharp
transitions, or more more gradual changes from one species to another?

In ecological biogeography, the change in the relative dominance of species
across a landscape can be sharp or gradual. Sometimes we see that one species
is replaced by another over a very short distance due to a physical barrier or
an abrupt change in key environmental factors. Other times, we see that the two
species co-exist over large distances and the relative dominace between the
species changes across a gradual environmental gradient. In the latter case, it
is more difficult to define a point in space in which the change in dominance
occurrs.

Are evolutionary processess over time analogous to 'environmental gradients'
over space? If so, what kinds/aspects of evolutionary processess determine the
sharpness/gradualness of the switch from one species to another? What role does
the inherent genetic structure of particular species play in determining the
gradualness of this switch?

Perhaps the reason the definition of what constitutes a species is 'fuzzy'
because the processes that control the change of one species to another are
unclear. Ecologists often try to define species according to their functional
attributes inorder to access their ecological significance in ecosystems.
Similiarly, the 'species' of an organism should correlate with a function/s
inherent to its genetic code, which in turn has some evolutionary significance.
However, in this context at least, taxonomic science is a lot less definitive
than ecological science, as it is quite lacking in knowledge of the links
between the genetics of individual species and thier evolutionary heritage.

------
Burak K. Pekin, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Forestry and Natural Resources
Purdue University