Honorable Forum:

In a recent post, the author expressed concern about our anti-intellectual
society--". . . our anti-intellectual society would find it very difficult to
appreciate . . ."

There can be little doubt that our society is replete with
anti-intellectualism. Ecology and ecologists (ecology, in particular, has
gotten pretty bad treatment from popular culture, as "eco-" has become a prefix
for almost everthing, from selling soap to weight-loss nostrums and cosmetics,
ad nauseam) as well as other scientists, not to mention other academicians,
scholars, and those who dare to advance questions about cultural norms or
differ from common presumption, are derided by those who consider anyone who
ventures beyond the bounds of "popular culture," whatever that is, to be effete
intellectual snobs. This phenomenon affects elections, and ultimately, funding
for intellectual activity. To paraphrase Rodney What's-his-name,
"I[ntellectuals] don't get no [appreciation]."

In difficult times especially, competition increases for scarcer and scarcer
funds, and support for intellectuals, scientists in particular, seems to
decline, even in relative terms, as the pork gets sliced thinner and thinner.
Beyond howling in the wilderness, is there anything anyone can do about this?

Anti-intellectuals, by definition, are not only unlikely to do anything except
make the situation worse. That leaves, I suggest, intellectuals. If that's the
case, the choices are to take action or to take no action. If ecologists want
to take action, what should that action be?

I have a suggestion as to form. If every concerned intellectual on this
list--say 10,000--met with four other intellectuals and listed five actions,
and each of those five met with an additional four, the list would grow
impressively large very quickly. A list of potential actions could then be
assembled and prioritized by frequency.

Or any more efficient alternative?

WT