It is interesting, then, that so many ecologists feel confident that they know the causes of anti-intellectualism in our society. Surely a background in ecology does not provide a solid foundation for evaluation of K-12 education or media influences on society.

I would still like to have a more specific definition of intellectual society. Knowing something, and knowing how to know something, are different things. Historically, humans have known many things, but it seems to be relatively recent that we began to, as a whole, understand how it is we can distinguish between approximate truth and opinion. If the US is not an intellectual society, in which nation can we find one?

Interesting thread...