And even more importantly - what do we mean by 'intellectual'.
Is it a person with in-depth knowledge in a particular field/area?
Or such a person with a good understending of other areas as well?
A person well rounded (self-taught) in numerous areas?  Opera, science,
philosophy .......?
Or a person well schooled in science, arts (the gentleman scientist, the
renaissance person?)
A dilitant?
A liberal?  A conservative?  A scientist? (oops, that will be hard to define
with Intelligent Design, etc.).  A philosopher?

Untill we can establish the parameters that define 'intellectual', any
extrapolations to societal parameters may become invalid upon review of such
definitions?

Esat Atikkan