From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Manuel Spínola [mspinol...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 6:49 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Hypothesis Testing in Ecology

Hi Martin,

If you state a scientific hypothesis you need to derive predictions from
it, and sometimes you can state the predictions as statistical
hypotheses, but not always, in fact, Karl Popper was not thinking on
statistics or statistical hypotheses.

As Malcolm McCallum said if you use statistics to test a scientific
hypothesis I think you are in a more shaking ground, statistics has its
own problems. By the way, statistics is inductive.

Some people are using information theoretic approaches like AIC (Akaike
Information Criterion) to work with what they believe are scientific
hypothesis but I don't think so.  They have a set of models but not
necessarily a set of scientific hypotheses.  Other problems of working
with hypothesis in ecology are the multicausality of ecological
phenomena and the limitation of conducting experiments at some spatial
and time scales.  Most of studies in ecology are observational not
experimental.

More on Popper.  Karl Popper did not believe that the theory of
evolution by natural selection was a scientific theory.   He argument
that you cannot falsify an hypothesis derived from that theory.  Imagine
testing the hypothesis of past competition on Darwin finches under the
H-D method.   How do you falsify that hypothesis using a "critical
experiment" as the H-D followers call it?

Best,

Manuel

On 28/02/2011 05:16 p.m., Martin Meiss wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> 2. Have you ever had a grant proposal or publication declined because
>> of an absent or unclear hypothesis?
>>
>> Yes, and I'm wondering about this trend in the stated aims of some journals
>> as well.
>>
>> --
>> Shermin de Silva, Ph.D
>> http://elephantresearch.net/fieldnotes
>> http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~sdesilva
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Manuel Spínola<mspinol...@gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>> Dear Jane,
>>>
>>> That is a topic that have interested me for a long time.  I teach
>> something
>>> of this in my classes to master students in wildlife management and
>>> conservation here in Costa Rica.  I know this is a controversial issue.
>>>
>>> First I recommend these 3 books:
>>>
>>> Scientific Method for Ecological Research.  E. David Ford.
>>>
>>> Method in Ecology: Strategies for Conservation. Kristin S.
>>> Shrader-Frechette and Earl D. McCoy
>>>
>>> A Primer on Natural Resource Science. Fred S. Guthery
>>>

>>> Is necessary to distinguish between statistical and scientific
>> hypothesis.
>>> Statistical hypotheses is about patterns, scientific hypotheses are about
>>> process (they are based on "why" or "how").
>>>
>>> My experience on this topic tells me that most ecologists do not know the
>>> difference between the 2 kind of hypothesis.
>>>
>>> Like you probably experienced, reviewers like to see hypothesis driven
>>> research on the proposal that you submit but most of the time they do not
>>> know what a true scientific hypothesis is.
>>>
>>> Most research in ecology is not hypothesis driven, even when would like
>>> see that.  Read any paper in ecological journals and see how many of them
>>> are truly hypothesis driven.
>>>
>>> Hypothesis driven research are not always possible and in many instances
>> is
>>> not necessary to have scientific hypothesis, all depend on the context.
>>>   Most of the time we are interested in parameter estimation on how much a
>>> factor or covariable influence a parameter of interest.  Besides, If you
>> are
>>> going to do hypothesis driven research you need to work with multiple
>>> hypothesis (Chamberlin).
>>>
>>> Falsification is the contribution of Karl Popper to the
>>> Hypothetic-Deductive method.  It has nothing to do with statistics or
>>> statistical hypothesis.
>>>
>>> The hypothetic-deductive method has been considered as "the scientific
>>> method", however not many people know how it works.  The
>>> hypothetic-deductive method is inductive and not deductive like the
>>> namesuggest.
>>>
>>> There is no a superior approach to obtain scientific knowledge.
>>>
>>> There are much more on this topic but I would like to see other opinions.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Manuel Spínola

>>> --
>>> *Manuel Spínola, Ph.D.*
>>> Instituto Internacional en Conservación y Manejo de Vida Silvestre
>>> mspinol...@gmail.com
>>> Teléfono: (506) 2277-3598