Within this thread I was reminded of another situation related to publishing
individual observations and the increasing use/creation of shared databases.

Why are there so many requests to create shared databases?  Because people
have delegated individual observations and observations with small sample
sizes to the trash.  If the investigator is unable to devote 100% time to a
project, or the project gets cut off due to funding or other circumstances,
just toss it!  It will reflect bad on you.

The purpose of publication is not self glory, it is to communicate
information so that it can be used by others to report/communicate their
findings and allow us to further science.  If every person who observed
something odd published it, there would be a database exactly where it
belongs, in publications.  So, there really is a value to descriptive
research and the years of ignoring and denigrating this important field has
now come to an impasse as people needing the information are now calling out
to others to dump said data into databases for others to use.  No need.
 Publish the stuff in appropriate outlets and then it will again be
available, put data in an appendix. Tadah!  How completely obvious.

Herpetological Review is a good example of one of these databases in
herpetology, and the author gets credit for contributing.  A note in HR is
what it is, no one brags about it, but if you drag through there you can
find piles in each issue and each one can be developed into a masters thesis
or a major work.  However, no one has time to work up every observation they
make in the field into a major work.  So, the authors of such notes are
sharing information with the world.  No one even claims that what is written
there is representative of anything, it just happened.  Some notes are
single observations, some only comprise a small number of animals.  But the
info is there so others can investigate or use it.  Its funny that this same
system is used in clinical research listed under case accounts in medicine.
 No one seems to look down on those though.

It really amazes me how we can look down our noses at the Chimney Sweep, and
yet the day will come when our Chimney must be cleaned.

How many realize that one of the most important papers, the description of
DNA by Watson and Crick, was barely one column long with a pencil sketch and
was essentially natural history.  IT was definitely descriptive, and you
could argue whether a hypothesis was really involved. As for statistical
analysis?  lets not go there.

Malcolm

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Managing Editor,

"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" - Allan
Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not