Well, maybe. Repetition certainly seems to work for some political messages.

I suggest that the MESSENGER also matters. People are much more receptive to information of any kind if it comes from someone they identify with. This is why it is problematic to have a political figure, such as Al Gore, delivering a scientific message about climate change. Some people respond to him, rather than to the message. Some reject the message out of hand, because their cultural affiliations lie elsewhere.

Are you the best messenger for your own science? Do you have a cultural affiliation with the audience you are trying to reach? I think these are important questions to ask.

Dawn Stover