When I was doing my masters work I ask my major professor if he carried
private insurance, we took lots of great field trips.

He did in fact carry a personal professional liability policy, In the 1980s
this was about 1 million bucks.  Deep pockets and inflation, I'm certain
would make this policy obsolete.

Be careful.

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Ecologist  / Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

steve_fried...@nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282
Fax     (305) 224 - 4147

             Christopher
             Ruhland
             <christopher.ruhl                                          To
             a...@mnsu.edu>             ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
             "Ecological
             Society of                                            Subject
             America: grants,          [ECOLOG-L] Professional Liability
             jobs, news"               Insurance?
             <ECOLOG-L@LISTSER
             V.UMD.EDU>

             04/28/2011 04:40
             PM

             Please respond to
                Christopher
                  Ruhland
             <christopher.ruhl
               a...@mnsu.edu>

Dear Ecolog Subscribers,

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with Personal Liability
Insurance for class field trips and related activities.   I am teaching an
extended field course away from campus, and it is my understanding that as
such I would be covered under the Universities’ general liability
insurance policy.   However if a student was injured in an activity that
was not directly associated with the actual curriculum, I could be held
responsible.    I have also been advised that should an accident/incident
occur, I could still be held legally accountable in a civil court and
would not be covered.

Now we know that professors can’t realistically monitor college students
24 hours a day for weeks at a time, so the potential for accidents exist.
I have been advised to look into Professional Liability Insurance and was
wondering if anybody on this list has advice.   It is my understanding
that some professional societies offer this type of insurance, does anyone
have any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Christopher T. Ruhland, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
Department of Biology
TS 242 Trafton Sciences Center South
Minnesota State University
Mankato, MN 56001