Chris -- I think this varies state to state and university to university.
Here at FHSU, we and participates (students and otherwise) are covered by
activities sanctioned by the university, including field trips and
professional meetings.  Saludos y nos vemos más tarde, EJF

Elmer J. Finck
Professor and Chair
Department of Biological Sciences
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Hays, KS  67601-4099
e-mail: efi...@fhsu.edu
webpage: http://www.fhsu.edu/biology/efinck/
phone: (785) 628-4214
fax: (785) 628-4153
home: (785) 625-9727
cell: (785) 650-1057

The greatest gift you could give yourself is a job you enjoy.  Jerry R.
Choate 1943-2009

Christopher Ruhland <christopher.ruhl...@mnsu.edu>
Sent by: "Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news"
<ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
04/28/2011 03:57 PM
Please respond to
Christopher Ruhland <christopher.ruhl...@mnsu.edu>

ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
cc

Subject
[ECOLOG-L] Professional Liability Insurance?

Dear Ecolog Subscribers,

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with Personal Liability
Insurance for class field trips and related activities.   I am teaching an

extended field course away from campus, and it is my understanding that as

such I would be covered under the Universities’ general liability
insurance policy.   However if a student was injured in an activity that
was not directly associated with the actual curriculum, I could be held
responsible.    I have also been advised that should an accident/incident
occur, I could still be held legally accountable in a civil court and
would not be covered.

Now we know that professors can’t realistically monitor college students
24 hours a day for weeks at a time, so the potential for accidents exist.
I have been advised to look into Professional Liability Insurance and was
wondering if anybody on this list has advice.   It is my understanding
that some professional societies offer this type of insurance, does anyone

have any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Christopher T. Ruhland, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
Department of Biology
TS 242 Trafton Sciences Center South
Minnesota State University
Mankato, MN 56001