Yeah, the claim that spousal hires are "unethical" is ludicrous. I'd love to know what ethical precept it violates.

On the other hand, spousal hires conform to the "family values" our nation so loudly proclaims. Given that, a spousal hire policy would seem more ethical than policies that promote family breakups.

It is also wise human resource policy for the reasons specified below. It makes for much more productive employees -- I know from experience that long-distance relationships take a toll on all involved, no matter how well adjusted the parties are.

Dave