On 8/20/2011 11:32 AM, Aaron T. Dossey wrote:
Personal interests like "but my wife/child/friend wants a job too!"
should not be a consideration of any hiring entity.

I think it should be. You do not want your new faculty member leave
after two years for a place closer to her partner. After she spend most
of the setup money and forcing you to go through a new hiring round (any
idea how expensive they are money and time wise?).

Where does it end? Is it ok for a chair and group of faculty to
decide only to hire members of their church or their own religion,
or only hire other atheists? Is it ok for them to only hire their
friends to the exclusion of all other applicants regardless of
QUANTITATIVE qualification/skill/talent? Maybe a department wishes to
be all white, or all Chinese, or all Jewish? Kosher?

You seem to miss the point. A spousal hire is not a prerequisite set by
the university before they can hire someone; it is a added issue that
needs to be resolved before someone is willing to come. It is not a
university set requirement but an applicant set requirement. Having a
specific religion etc are university set requirements.

Spousal hiring is not benign, it is not a victimless crime. It is an
unethical tragedy which is leading to many very good hard working
scientists to leave the field and their dreams, some of us who have
worked hard all our lives toward this goal of starting our own lab
one day, and were the first in our families to even go to graduate
school (and second to college at all).

I would argue that the opposite takes place. Many highly qualified
scientists left and still leave the field when forced to choose between
love and passion.

But really, when you apply without a spouse needing a job, and you are
passed by for a guy who also demands a job for his wife, I think you
better start thinking about the quality difference between you and that
person. The problem with this discussion is that this is a non-issue.
Universities do not ALWAYS hire a spouse. No, they weigh that on a
case-by-case basis.

The "American Dream" has been dead in the private sector for many
years, is it dead in Academia too?

No, you can still make it. The illusion is that you would have MORE
changes if there were no spousal hires. Because if a university is
willing to pay for a spousal hire, it means that the person they intent
to hire is a lot better than the person who does not require a spousal
hire. That most likely also means that there are a lot of candidates
between you and the top choice.

Kim