Oh, so only single people can contribute to this discussion? I've seen a lot more hyperbole in this discussion coming from the anti-spousal hire side. I've seen more confusing of terms (nepotism is hiring of your relatives, not offering a job to an unrelated candidate and his or her partner) from the anti-spousal side here.

I still wait to see Dossey offering documentation to his assertion that spousal hiring is unethical. According to what authorities?

As for diminishing the quality of the institution, where's what David Bell, former dean of faculty at Johns Hopkins, had to say in a piece written for the Chronicle of Higher Education (http://chronicle.com/article/article-content/65456/):

"Critics of spousal hiring often charge that the practice drags down a university's academic quality, but my experience as dean laid that concern to rest for me. To start with, we never forced a spousal hire on a department or approved the hiring of a spouse who we felt could not pass through the university's rigorous tenure process. After seeing the pattern of spousal hiring in my report to the new president, I drew up a list of the partners in question, wondering if it would look like a rogues' gallery of our weakest professors. In fact, in terms of both stature and productivity, it seemed like an entirely random selection. The Stanford report notes that faculty members recruited as part of spousal-hire arrangements have a level of productivity on par for their institutions."

Some more thoughts from the Prodigal Academic here: http://theprodigalacademic.blogspot.com/2010/05/spousal-hiring-in-and-out-of-academia.html

More facts (based on something called research) can be found here: http://www.stanford.edu/group/gender/ResearchPrograms/DualCareer/index.html

On that page I recommend the report "Dual-Career Academic Couples: What Universities Need to Know" (http://www.stanford.edu/group/gender/ResearchPrograms/DualCareer/DualCareerFinal.pdf)

Later,