A simple question that after 8 -10 years in science I still don't really
get:

Where does the money go?

We often pay to publish. Most journals don't actually print anything
anymore (or very little and only at an extra charge). Reviewing is free
(and in my opinion should stay so).

So that leaves:
Editors
Layout artists
Website development and IT
But they can do a lot of work, and it seems to me the subscription fees are
too high to cover them, and that the submission fees should cover them.

Does anyone have a breakdown of where the money goes? (how much goes to
what?)

The companies we love to hate, are still only slightly profitable (ie. less
than 50% profit, often much less) which means that most of what we spend
for access goes to their costs, so what is the breakdown of these costs?
Anyone know?

What's the difference in accounting for open access journals? How do they
pay for Editors, Layout artists, Website development and IT?

Curious, thanks

-Nick

--

Post-doctoral Researcher: Wallander and Tunlid Labs
Microbial Ecology