There are two kinds of professional; one puts the buck first, the other the work.

The unanswered question remains the fundamental one of policy, not the specifics in cases. The test for the consistency of an action with a policy is whether or not the objectives of the organization are best served by said policy. Does a given [publications] policy tend to advance the purposes of the organization or retard those purposes.

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "David L. McNeely" <mcnee...@cox.net>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:33 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Open Access References Re: [ECOLOG-L] NYT OP-ED piece about public access to research publications

All of us know who the real buck chasing publishers are, and they are not the scholarly organizations like ESA. Elsevier Press comes to mind. I'm not sure what Wayne means when he says, "Concentrate on the work rather than the buck." One certainly doesn't get any bucks for publishing in a traditional journal. One does get some degree of recognition, depending on the paper and how successful one is in getting multiple papers published. But by and large, there is no profit in it for authors. For Elsevier, there is profit. For ESA, ASLO, ASIH .........., hmmmm....... .

If science wants to turn from traditional, peer reviewed publication to a free for all, well, it will do so. But we need to be very careful about doing away with our scholarly organizations. Whether we own up to it or not, that is what is being proposed.

mcneely

---- Wayne Tyson <landr...@cox.net> wrote:
Honorable Forum:

>From
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/11/opinion/research-bought-then-paid-for.html?_r=1

"Researchers should cut off commercial journals' supply of papers by
publishing exclusively in one of the many "open-access" journals that are
perfectly capable of managing peer review . . ."

That is, AVOID the "prestigious" journals and concentrate on the work rather than the buck. Be on the leading edge of advancing science in all directions
rather than depriving the "lay" public of the fruits of your talent and
effort.

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Inouye" <ino...@umd.edu>