Right-on Chris.  I've been thinking about it for a long time and still have
not thought of or head of a definition of "species" that covers all they
ways we use the word in biology.  But then, it may be a faulty expectation
to think we should be able to.  Nature is under no obligation to conform to
our simplistic desire for a one-on-one mapping between our vocabulary and
the phenomena we observe.  Even our own mental constructs defy our
vocabulary.

Martin M. Meiss