To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Ecology terminology Re: [ECOLOG-L] definition of "native"

I think we're missing the point here. The problem isn't with the
definitions of native - it's an English word that's always going to
have a range of meanings. In other words - it's a poor term for science.

"Is post oak native to Texas?" is a less than ideal question, because
the answer is binary - yes, or no. If you're really going to answer
that question - as a scientist - you'd say that (some or all) of Texas
lies within the (pre-settlement, historical, or whatever term you want
to define) range of the species _based_on_[certain]_data_. With the
obvious caveats, in the case of the US and Canada, that species ranges
reflect ongoing migration since the end of the last ice age. Or, "no,
data suggest that TX is outside the native range of the species".

Fighting over semantics or values is pointless. If the term is
"squishy", let's use more precise terminology, and be explicit about
the uncertainty. Unless you're speaking to politicians, in which case
you need to find a way to somehow convey an amount of certainty that
can't be misconstrued, while still being nuanced enough that they
can't (easily) turn what you say around to try to discredit you. And
even then, the media will simply what you say, and the THOSE words
will be used to discredit you.

Quoting Wayne Tyson <landr...@cox.net>:

Honorable Forum:

Anybody who has any "sense" knows that words are imperfect, and anybody who has read "Alice in Wonderland" (or was it "Through the Looking Glass?" I just don't remember) knows that a word means "just what I (or the Red Queen?) say it means." Words are communication tools, and for them to work at perfect pitch, the parties to the communication have to understand and mean exactly the same thing, especially if it is to be considered "scientific."

Ecology is a "squishy" subject, so it follows that there may even NEED to be a certain amount of "squish" in its terms. It has apparently endless variables that are in a constant state of change. So ecologist simply have to come to common agreement what "native" means (and does not mean). Izzat "ad populem?"

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Pierce" <mindi...@gmail.com>