DAVID . . .

My guess is that this may be one of those years when sapsucker wells--those
horizontal, sap-oozing holes made by Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers--may be of more
importance than usual in the northern part of the ruby-throat's range. (See
images at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek060515.html )

Hummers may also take small amounts of sap from tree buds that likely will be
bursting early.

I suspect warm weather that allows hummers to be further north than usual also
will cause earlier-than-normal emergence of insects that will provide needed
fats and proteins.

The big question may be what will happen if there is a sudden cold snap now
that ruby-throats are so far north. Will adults survive? Will early nesters
lose the first clutch or eggs--or even a first brood? We'll have to wait and
see, i guess.  :-)

Cheers,

BILL

=======

On Mar 26, 2012, at 1:23 PM, David Inouye wrote:

> http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html reports that Ruby-throated Hummingbirds
> have already arrived in Canada this month (3 weeks earlier than last year).
> What wildflowers do they usually visit during their spring migration, and are
> they already in bloom?
>
> David Inouye

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org